Friday, July 24, 2009

My Logan








About a week and a half ago we finally got the answers that have been long and coming for some time. I've been in denial for a while because you don't want to hear something is wrong with your child. I don't ever want to hear anything is wrong. Nick and I have been frustrated with the services Logan has been receiving through the Early Childhood Intervention Services. He goes to a preschool program that focuses on his speech and social interactions. He's been going there since October 2008. When he was initially evaluated, we asked if there was a name for what might be wrong and the evaluators refrained, saying they did not want to label him. We agree; however, if we're to help Logan through any challenges that may face him, how can we if we don't know really what's wrong amongst the many disorders and syndromes that exist nowadays? The closest we ever got to an answer was expressive language disorder. But Logan's progress (we feel) has been slow. We feel he should receive more than 20-30 minutes per week of speech therapy. We know that through one on one speech therapy Logan receives the tools and coaching he needs to implement into the social arena. Nick and I have felt this is not enough time for him.

A big problem for Logan is that he doesn't carry on a conversation. There is no give and take while talking to him. He talks about what he wants to, usually about a toy or something that caught his interest that day. He doesn't really ask a person questions. He also prefers to play by himself, whether it's at home or at preschool. If he is brought into a peer group and forced to interact, he pretends he's a truck or a robot and waves his hands at whomever he's trying to interact with. And he doesn't really talk to them, he just makes sounds. Logan doesn't really know how to interact with kids his age.
In a search for doctors for myself, I stumbled across a preferred provider that offered speech therapy. I was shocked! The people working with Logan had made it seem we were doomed to K-12 services with no end in sight!! I immediately called and was told that through the Scottish Rite Clinics* preschool speech therapy services are provided at no cost (based upon taxable income and insurance, of course).

*If you're concerning about a preschool age kid you know, definitely call them! They have them all over the place, nationally!

Logan's evaluation indicated signs of autism, but the doctor felt that, due to her experience working with autistic kids, Logan probably has a mild form of Aspergers or high functioning autism. She called his behaviors that indicate Aspergers "quirky", which is exactly what Logan is. We're not trying to change his personality, we're just trying to give him the social tools he needs in a one on one setting that will help his quirks be successful. She has determined to help him structure longer sentences and hold conversations and other things he needs in social settings. I am very excited to be working with her. It's the most up-front a person working with Logan has been, ever.

Even though we know now what's going on, it's still hard knowing it. With all the hopes in the world, you hope your children will be happy and successful and hopefully in the easiest way possible. This life is hard enough as it is and now Logan has extra challenges to deal with. I hope I can do all I can to help him. He's such a sweet little boy and a joy to have as our son. With our Heavenly Father's help I know Logan will be just fine. We don't want to treat him differently or label him, because I tend to think this is a way for him to hold onto his innocence a little longer than children normally do; so I hope people treat him the way they do other kids. He is a wonderfully loveable boy and we are so blessed.

Tomorrow I sit down with the early intervention "specialists." Not that much can be changed since they have known about his autistic tendencies for who knows how long but didn't say anything to us because "they didn't know how," I refuse to let this blunder pass by unnoticed. If they can't give him the help he needs, I've already found it elsewhere. I just want them to acknowledge an extreme error has been made and, because of it, Logan has been hindered from obtaining specialized help sooner.

1 comment:

Lurlyn said...

I need to check your blog more often!
That is such great news that you were able to "stumble" across another provider that is more tailored towards Logan's needs and also provide you with positive communication. You are right to be angry with his previous provider. Their lack of wanting to "label" Logan has hindered the quailty of help he deserves.
Good luck, and I hope this new program is a positive experience. He looks so cute in the fireman coat.